Wednesday 19 June 2013

Dust in The Wind (Kansas, 1977)

Another wonderful short but intense song. Kansas included it in their album "Point of Know Return" and the song picked at n# 6 on the Billboard single charts. I don't need many words to describe such a famous song, nor to explain its presence here. Based on a beautiful melody and an essentially acoustic arrangement driven by Kerry Livgren's guitar. This song also features Robby Steinhardt's violin and viola, marking the airy instrumental passage, and Steve Walsh voice, as pure as a crystal.
 
The original cover for "Dust in The Wind" 7" single.
 
The lyrics about mortality as the common human destiny, reminds us how we all are but dust in the wind, whatever we do or say in our short existence. This melancholic meditation fits perfectly in Kerry Livgen's music, that's why all seems to be perfect in "Dust in The Wind". I don't know how many times I listened to this little shiny pearl, but I'm sure I'll do it again... till I'm dust in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment